What are your top three book pet hates?
1) I hate the “dystopian prom queen” book covers. It started, I think, with “Matched” by Ally Condie, continued with “The Selection” by Kiera Cass, and now there seems to be a plethora of these covers (which of course indicates that there’s a plethora of these types of stories). This is a recent irritant, but I had to get it out in the open. I can’t stand them. ESPECIALLY when we start seeing them in other genres (“Girl in the Steel Corset,” anyone?)
2) Fantasy books that have names in them with too few vowels where needed or too many vowels when not needed. Yes, I know you’re trying to make an alien-sounding name, but I don’t think the name needs a double “q” in it.
3) All the damned zombie books. Sorry, there’s about a thousand too many.
Describe your perfect reading spot
I like reading outside if I can. Anyplace well lit will do, but I like the idea of being out on my porch (or lanai) with an afternoon thunderstorm rolling in. In winter, on a chair by a fireplace would be divine!
Tell us three book confessions
1) I did not fully understand what Steampunk actually was until about a year ago. My original plan for the Steampunk series I’m working on now was to make it a space opera. But I chose Steampunk instead because I was more comfortable writing in a historical setting than outer space, but it is still considered science fiction.
2) There are MANY books I never finish because I lose my interest, especially the ones I’ve downloaded for free in the past. Or, in the case of “Game of Thrones,” did not like all the different POVs (but I love the tv series, go figure!). I still can’t figure out who is the real main character of Game of Thrones anyway.
3) I don’t read a whole lot of the type of books I write. I read more epic fantasy, mysteries, and romances than hard sci-fi, thrillers and young adult. I will read young adult that’s very compelling, but I’m very finicky.
When was the last time you cried during a book?
I cry during tv shows and movies, and sometimes my own characters make me cry, but I don’t cry over books.
How many books are on your bedside table?
Does having them on my Kindle app on my tablet count? Because if it does, then I’ve got at least 350 books on there.
What is your favorite snack to eat while you’re reading?
I read while eating lunch. So a sandwich, soup, etc.
Name three books you would recommend to everyone
I read a lot of genre fiction, which I know is not for everyone. Hell, even “Literature” is not for everyone. So, there is nothing I’d recommend for “everyone.”
Show us a picture of your favorite bookshelf on your bookcase
Some people who are regular readers of my blog got something of a preview of my bookcase. Well, I actually have two of them. My beleaguered V. C. Andrews book is in one of those, but it’s not my favorite shelf.
This is my favorite shelf
Write how much books mean to you in just three words
They’re my life!
What is your biggest reading secret?
I read the most popular books long after everyone else has made a big deal about them. I didn’t read Twilight until the final movie came out, and never watched any of the movies until they were all on video. I only read The Hunger Games books right before the first movie came out. I don’t know when I’ll get around to reading some of the newer books (Like The Girl in a Steel Corset, LOL).
There. I hope you enjoyed this little peek into my reading psyche.